Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Obama's Stimulus Plan and Transparency

So I must say I'm impressed with the Obama administration's Stimulus plan transparency. Through www.recovery.org you can get information on the stimulus program's agenda and even use and interactive map to see which state is getting what and then within that state where the money is going. For example I currently live in California, a state in the midst of fiscal failure. I was pleased to see that the state's number one funded program is the "State Fiscal Stabilization Fund". At first I thought well that's a generalized bunch of hooey, but with further research I learned that the fund is:

"The State Fiscal Stabilization Fund (SFSF) program is a new one-time appropriation of $53.6 billion under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). Of the amount appropriated, the U. S. Department of Education will award governors approximately $48.6 billion by formula under the SFSF program in exchange for a commitment to advance essential education reforms to benefit students from early learning through post-secondary education, including: college- and career- ready standards and high-quality, valid and reliable assessments for all students; development and use of pre-K through post-secondary and career data systems; increasing teacher effectiveness and ensuring an equitable distribution of qualified teachers; and turning around the lowest-performing schools."

This sounds great, so what I'd like to know is how it's going to effect California's budget crisis in the end, Arnold Schwarzenegger voted for the stimulus plan and got hell from his party for it, but said to them "If you don't want the money give it to me, we (California) need it!". I must say though that the 6th program (Section 8 Welfare) with over $305 million dollars allocated to it, unnerves me to say the least. I was raised very poorly and lived in section 8 apartments growing up and can remember that we had to pay rent while others abused the system and had the government pay their rent. I'm not saying the program should be abandoned but 6th place? It's just not how I would have prioritized the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment